Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License
Effective October 1, 2001, a marriage license issued in any county in the state may be used at any place within the state within sixty (60) days of the date of issuance. The license must be returned to the county of issuance within 10 days after the celebration of the marriage with the appropriate signatures and the blanks filled in according to the facts. GS_51-16
Both prospective bride and groom are 18 years of age or older
- Photo ID or Driver's License and social security #
- For applicants with no social security number or who are ineligible to obtain one, see Affidavit of Ineligibility.
Prospective bride or groom is age 16 or 17
- Photo ID or Driver's License and social security number.
- A written consent to the marriage must be filed with the register of deeds, said consent having been signed by the appropriate person(1) a parent having full or joint legal custody of the underage party; or (2) by a person, agency, or institution having legal custody or serving as a guardian of the underage party. The written consent required by this subsection shall be signed in the presence of the register of deeds.
You're 14 years of age and under 16 years of age
- Persons over 14 years of age and under 16 years of age may marry as provided in G.S. 51-2A.
- It shall be unlawful for any person under 14 years of age to marry
- Under age of 16 will need to contact the Register of Deeds office. (336 651-7351)
- The Register of Deeds will need to know the month and year the divorce was final.
The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days; thus applicants should not apply for a license more than sixty days before the planned marriage ceremony.
The fee for the license is $60.00. Cash or local personal checks are accepted.
Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Applicants should be in our office by 4:30 p.m. (Wilkes County Courthouse-Room 1000, 500 Courthouse Dr, Wilkesboro, NC 28697)