COVID-19 Vaccine Phases
Wilkes Health is currently vaccinating individuals who fall within the GROUP 1 AND GROUP 2 OVER THE AGE OF 65. Definitions for each phase can be found at yourshotyourspot.nc.gov.
Wilkes Health only gets a small amount of vaccine each week. Please be patient as this will be a slow process to get everyone vaccinated in the appropriate phase.
COVID-19 Vaccinations Prioritized Populations: Those most at risk get it first.
A tested, safe and effective vaccine will be available to all who want it, but supplies will be limited at first. Independent state and federal public health advisory committees have determined that the best way to fight COVID-19 is to start first with vaccinations for those most at risk, reaching more people as the vaccine supply increases from January to June. Keep practicing the 3W’s— wear a mask, wait six feet apart, wash your hands—until everyone has a chance to vaccinate. This will be a slow and frustrating process. Please be patient and understanding.
GROUP 1: Health care workers fighting COVID-19 & Long-Term Care staff and residents
- Health care workers caring for and working directly with patients with COVID-19, including staff responsible for cleaning and maintenance in those areas
- Health care workers administering vaccine
- Long-term care staff and residents-people in skilled nursing facilities and in adult, family and group homes
GROUP 2: Adults 65 years or older
Anyone aged 65 or older, regardless of health status or living situation.
GROUP 3: Frontline essential workers
The CDC defines frontline essential workers as workers who are in sectors essential to the functioning of society and who are at substantially higher risk for exposure to COVID-19.
GROUP 4: Adults at high risk for exposure and increased risk of severe illness
- Anyone 16-64 years old with high-risk medical conditions that increase risk of severe disease from COVID-19 such as cancer, COPD, serious heart conditions, sickle cell disease, Type 2 diabetes, among others, regardless of living situation
- Anyone who is incarcerated or living in other close group living settings who is not already vaccinated due to age, medical condition or job function
- Essential workers not yet vaccinated. The CDC defines these as workers in transportation and logistics, water and wastewater, food service, shelter and housing (e.g., construction), finance (e.g., bank tellers), information technology and communications, energy, legal, media, public safety (e.g., engineers) and public health workersGROUP
GROUP 5: Everyone who wants a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccination.
Vaccine Phase Info Graphic
In order to determine what phase you are in, please see the info graphic below.