Nursing Home Care
The following may be provided nursing home care with an income eligibility assessment:
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities
- Veterans who were exposed to herbicides while serving in Vietnam
- Veterans exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or in the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Veterans with a condition related to an environmental exposure in the Persian Gulf
- Veterans of the Mexican border period of World War I who are eligible for Medicaid
Non-service connected veterans and zero-percent, noncompensable service-connected veterans requiring nursing home care for any non-service connected disability must submit an income eligibility form 10-10F. VA will determine whether they will be billed for nursing home care.
VA also offers Domiciliary Care which provides rehabilitative and long-term health maintenance care for veterans who require minimal medical care but who do not need the skilled nursing services provided in nursing homes. Income is considered when applying for domiciliary care. The Secretary of Veterans Affairs may determine a veteran with no adequate means of support can also receive domiciliary care.